Sunday, January 1, 2012

Making Vanilla Extract

Being the first day of the Year I decided I needed to do some thing productive and had been wanting to make some Vanilla extract. Recipe calls for 12 vanilla beans and 2 cups of vodka. Of course I did not have 12 beans- only half that much. So I ended up making a half batch. But for anyone wanting to make a nice batch of vanilla extract- especially for gift giving, this is what you need:

12 vanilla beans
2 cups of Vodka
1 pint jar

Take the beans and cut them open lengthwise and scrape the insides out. Place the inside of the bean scrapings inside the jar and then cut the vanilla beans in half and place them all inside the jar. Pour the vodka overtop of the beans making sure they are fully submerged in the vodka. Place a label on the jar with todays date and also the ready for use date which will be in 6 weeks! Easy Peasy!
I will definitely have to stock up on more vanilla beans to make more extract later.

2 comments:

  1. Easy Peasy indeed! Seems fun to make :)
    Lovely background Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Pat! I love the name of your blog and the herbs you chose, too.

    ReplyDelete