Sunday, March 18, 2012

Violet Jelly

The violets are out in full bloom right now and so beautiful! I just adore the purple blue color and they always cheer me up somehow. My husband and I gathered up a big bowl of violet blossoms and I decided I would make some violet jelly.
They are beautiful! I rinsed them off, and filled a quart jar full. The more blossoms you add to the jar the darker your jelly will be.
Once the jar was full, I boiled water and placed a table knife in the jar. This is a trick I learned so that when pouring in the boiling water the knife conducts the heat and keeps the jar from breaking. I forgot to do this once  and I was sure sorry! The bottom of my jar blew out and I lost all my infusion all over the counter. So this is  well worth doing to prevent that from happening!
I then filled the jar with boiling water and  took the knife and made sure that all the blossoms were covered with water. I placed a cap on the jar and I will let in now infuse for the next 24 hrs. At the very least over night. Then I strained the blossoms making sure that I had at least 2 1/2 cups of infusion. To this I added the juice of 1 lemon which should be approximately 1/2 cup. In a large pot mix together 1 box of sure jell ( low sugar kind) and the infused violet liquid and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, and then add 3 cups of sugar and boil for 3 minutes. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
The end results, lots of beautiful Violet Jelly!
The hard part was waiting 24 hrs to taste it. Since I had never actually tasted violet jelly. But I can truthfully say now that it is wonderful! My daughter has already snagged some for the grandkids and I plan on making at least one more batch before the violets are gone!




5 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! I've never been fortunate enough to gather that many violet flowers. Beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. With spring coming so early here this year they all were blooming all over the place. It took me about 30-40 minutes to pick a good bowl full. But it was so worth it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks - violet is my alli this year so i will be coming back to make this.
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum pat!i just made our first batch this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, i am making this next year for sure! I remember now that I loved the idea of it, but got too busy and never actually did it. I LOVE your blog, Pat. :-) Hugs, Marci

    ReplyDelete